G5 - Orderliness
This week, we're focusing on ORDERLINESS!
ORDERLINESS is keeping my environment well arranged so that I can be effective. The opposite of ORDERLINESS is MESSINESS, showing disrespect for myself and others by failing to put things where they belong.
Clutter is like a magnet. Once a tiny mess starts, it can easily get out of control. That leaves us feeling overwhelmed.
When we're orderly, we feel more calm, better able to function. We have more momentum to tackle other areas.
Here's a few tips to help stay tidy:
1. Get some storage. It's tough to put things away if there's no good place to put them. Put masking tape labels on plastic storage tubs and drawers.
2. Get a sorting system. When there's a room full of clutter, it's tough to know where to start. Get several boxes.
- One box is for things you know you'll throw away.
- One box is for odds and ends you're not sure what to do with. Don't slow down to think about those. Just toss them in the box to deal with at the end.
3. Be relentless. Don't give clutter a foothold. Rather than lay things down to deal with later, deal with them right away.
- Throw away / recycle magazines and mail as soon as you're done.
- Put clothes away or in the laundry basket as soon as you take them off.
- Be sure your typical clutter spots are clean before you go to bed.
Where are your typical clutter areas? What advice do you have to stay orderly?